Saturday, June 6, 2009

Current Events.

I came to the conclusion the other day that my plans have changed both dramatically and frequently within the past couple of weeks.  Some of you are up-to-date on the changes while others are still sitting on the edge of your seats, ears poised to hear the precious information.*

Regardless, allow me to divulge the details of the current events of my life:

My original plan was to return to Nevada in early May, continue employment with the Incline Village Fire Crew, stay here for the summer, and then head back to CCU in mid-August.  Simple, straight-forward.  Those were the days.

Things began to get complicated when the fire crew royally screwed me over.  They called me on April 1st (after we had previously talked in February about me being fine coming in on May 10th,) and said that I needed to be tested out** by April 8th.  Given the timing and money situation, it was impossible for me to leave school and hop on a plane for Reno.  They said they'd put me on the waiting list, said I'd be the first on it.  Last I heard, two guys have quit since the crew started in May.  Still no phone call.  And they refuse to return my calls.  Excellent.

My altered plan was then to return to Nevada anyway and immediately seek employment.  This plan changed relatively quickly when I received a job offer as well as a free place to stay over the summer in Denver.  Deciding to stick with the assurance of employment in CO rather than risk it in NV, I opted to stay in the city.  I started work the Monday after school got out with Environment Colorado and was there for two weeks.  I didn't really like the work, though it was an incredible learning experience.  I met some really awesome people there, so it was a total bummer to tell them I wasn't too into canvassing.  I just couldn't put up with the schedule*** and the people we canvassed.  I met some sweet people out there, but a lot of them were mega-jerks.  On the bright side, I've gained a whole new respect for anyone who goes door-to-door, and I've also decided that I will not change the world through canvassing.  I'll have to try something else out until I hit the nail on the head.

After I left my job with Environment CO, I spent a week hanging out in Denver with friends.  I body-surfed some Platte River rapids, drummed on 16th street, watched the sun come up over the city from Red Rocks Amphitheater, and even started planning for the upcoming semester.  At the end of that week, I flew home to see Sarah's graduation.  It was kinda weird, being as my kid sister graduated and all, but I also realized that it was my first time ever watching a DHS graduation from the audience standpoint... I was in the band for three of them and then walked for the fourth.

My week in Nevada was awesome.  I caught up with a lot of friends and family, biked around Reno, rode a Ducati Monster, and even dispelled some rumors that I had dropped out of college and was living on the streets.****  I flew out of Reno on Sunday afternoon and was picked up from the airport by Scooter and Camo, two of my friends from CCU.

You see, since my second plan was to stay here in Denver, my dad had arranged a round-trip plane ticket to Nevada and back.  Hence the short visit to Nevada followed by a stint back in Denver followed by more Nevadaction.

So right now I am in Denver until Saturday morning, at which time I will grab what little belongings I have left and ride off on my motorcycle for Nevada.  I've secured a job back at Baskin Robbins (what a tangled web we weave) so I'll start there on Monday and work through the summer until mid-August when I'll return to CCU for another exciting year!

So there you have it.  The past month or so of my life laid out for any ol' internet surfer to browse.


Thanks for reading,

-Daniel K




*Or, more likely, were driving and thought for an instant, "I wonder whatever happened to that Daniel fellow?"
**This means successfully passing the pack test and drug test.
***I was definitely the "absentee roommate" for those two weeks.  I left before everyone woke up and went to bed as everyone was just getting into the "let's do stuff" mood.  Though I did enjoy riding the bus downtown everyday.
****Gotta love Dayton...

No comments: