Friday, August 21, 2009

Nothing New.

My first post in what seems like years. It's crazy to think that it's only been twelve days since I last blogged. Now we're one day away from the end of WoW* and the beginning of the new semester.

I haven't had a lot of time to write because I've been constantly trying to tie up any loose ends for WoW. The opening video came together splendidly, and I'll try to attach it to the end of this post (I say "try" because it wouldn't upload the other night...) Other than that, I've been scheduling clubs, organizations and ministries to come to the Job/Involvement Fair, running the info tent, and facilitating Parent/Prof. Coffee. It's all fun stuff, and since I don't have any classes to worry about, I've welcomed the full schedule.

I suppose the reason I'm writing this is to jot down some thoughts I had earlier today before they float on out of my head forever. Here goes.

Last year my RA was Nick. He was a senior (meaning now he's graduated) who's getting married this September. I love Nick and thoroughly enjoyed his RA-ness, but he did have some strong opinions about things. For instance, he is one of the foremost figures who influenced me to become a pacifist**. Among these opinions was one regarding CCU's President Bill Armstrong. Armstrong is extremely conservative in thought and faith, which chafes Nick's liberal worldviews. I have never spent extensive time with President Armstrong, and as such I relied on other people's experienced to shape my opinion. Nick's opinion of Armstrong, which I value a lot, was not a high one. As such, I've never been too big of a fan.

Yet today in WoW, we had what's called "Call to Community," during which the CCU Brass emerge from their lofty positions to get some face-time with the students, parents, and faculty to kick off the school year. The last speaker, unsurprisingly, was President Armstrong himself. As the leader of my school rose to speak, I felt myself readying a good eye roll or two. Yet what was said took me by surprise. Armstrong spoke in his confident, resounding voice about CCU and his hopes for the campus. During one point, he reminisced about a time a student asked him what the goals for CCU are. He responded*** that students at CCU should learn well, have fun, honor Christ, and change the world.

When I heard him say that, I raised my eyebrows and felt a surge of confidence and liking towards him. Those goals for the school - for me - sounded like something I wanted to get behind.

But surely I can't agree with Armstrong!? Yet I did. Completely.

About that time was when I realized that I was being stupid. I was fooling myself into the same trap I've been trying so hard to avoid recently. Armstrong, despite his conservative agenda and mindset, is still a Christian. Which means that right or wrong, outdated or savvy, grumpy or cheerful, we are brothers. We are family. We are on the same team. It was a freeing thought, really. I didn't have to resent CCU because of our leadership anymore. I didn't have to grumble whenever I received an email "From the desk of President Bill Armstrong." Because we are family.

It's more or less like how I feel with American Christianity. It has earned itself such a bad rep (and it's not completely unfounded, either. Take a look at a megachurch that uses tithes to build a brand new cathedral while the homeless starve on the streets.) Yet despite how much I want to scoff and distance myself from them, we are family. I can't just go around denouncing the people who worship Jesus right beside me, y'know? That just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not saying I agree 100% with where Armstrong wants to take CCU. I'm not completely onboard with his thoughts or ideas or interpretations. But that's okay, really. I mean without some conservative thinkers, where would we be?

In short, it was nothing new. Just another way I realized I was being tricked into wandering from the path I try so desperately to cling to - a path of acceptance, tolerance, love, and compassion. A path that unites a student body with its overhead and a school with its country. A path that works to tie things together, not tear them apart. A good path, in short.


Thanks for reading,

-Daniel K



*That's Weekend of Welcome, in case you're wondering.
**I use this term loosely, since the traditional interpretation alludes to non-action. I believe in taking action wholeheartedly, but my disagreement comes with what action should be taken.
***I'm not sure of his exact words, hence the lack of quotation marks.




No comments: