Thursday, January 3, 2008

The More Things Change...

2008. Cool, huh? Let's see that again. 2008. As in "class of 2008" or "August of 2008."


Okay now that I got that out of my system, here's the latest:

I've been thinking these past few days about the "new year." And when it gets right down to it, everything's the same.

Everything?

Why yes, everything.

Let's see... I still miss Robbie, Stacey, David, Terra, Jeff, Marin, and all my college friends terribly. I am still worried about these coming finals, and the pressure to get an A in dirty calculus is still on my mind. I still love Jesus and I'm still working through the issues in my walk. I still can't wait until June and then consequently August. I still love to write, to play the drums, and to flip up the visor on my helmet and feel the wind crashing against my face. And most of all, I still have the same friends, circumstances, family, and concerns as I did at 11:59:59pm on December the 31st of 2007.

In fact, what's so significant about the transition from December 31st to January 1st, anyway?

When I was 11, my family and I went on a road trip to Washington, DC. While there, we took a bus tour of Capitol Hill in a bus that had no windows, which allowed one to film, take pictures, etc. unobstructed. Supremely excited, I hastily "called" the window spot so I could... well, sit at the open window. When we boarded, however, the tour guide informed us that you had to be at least 12 to ride in the window seat (for safety reasons.) Needless to say, I was supremely bummed and spent the rest of the day moping.

When the woman told us I couldn't sit there, I remember my brother saying something to the effect of, "that's stupid... what difference does one day make, anyway? Like, as soon as you're 12, you won't jump out a bus window."

This is the same thought I've been prodding at... I mean, it's just one day. One minute. One second, actually. What difference does it make? 2007, 2008?

I've come to the conclusion that it's needed to mark progress, just stupid that it's a second's transition. So from now on, I'm not going to view December 31st at 11:59:59pm at the turning point. Rather, all of 2008 is the transition phase. That fits much better, because one year is significant.

I realize this all seems to be both a very trivial and a very juvenile revelation.

Score.


-Daniel

No comments: